Lauren MacDonald


Wednesday, October 21, 2009

For my activity I will be bringing in some different types of leaves and I will bring in pieces of onion skin and other materials that might work. I will then place these objects under the microscope and examine the plant cells. I will also be making slides using paper and tape as described in class to create slides for my materials. I will be taking pictures of my observations using the microscope and computers. From looking into the the microscope and taking pictures I will take notes of the characteristics I can see of the plant cells. For students I will provide worksheet where they can record their observations and draw what they see. They may use color penciles or markers. They will then create a list of characteristics of the plant cells that they see. Not for this class but if I were doing this in real life I would follow up this lesson with a second lesson where I would with my students then explain the different names for the parts of a plant cell. I would then have my students go back and try to identify the different parts of the cells, looking into the microscopes. I would have them draw and lable the parts.

The content I will be focusing on will be to observe and become familiar with the different parts of a plant cell they will also work on their observational skills as they observe and make a list of characterisitcs that they see.

The pedegoy I will be using is a more discovery based lesson or apporach. I believe that science is all baout discovery and drawing inferences on your own. I think that my looking at the cells, drawing pictures and creating characteristic lists they will actually get to be the scientist themselves rather than reading from a book what is what and then just memorizing it. This makes science much more fun in the classroom.

The technology I will be using will be the microscopes that we got to try out in class. This is a good fit because it helps students "see" what is really all around them. Gather their own materials such as leaves and then getting to actually see something so small is something that children would never get to do if it wasn't for technology. Taking pictures and putting them in their journals or on their worksheets is also good because now the students can take home and keep what they were able to observe in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment